Sunday, March 5, 2017

Semi-Charmed Kind of Life

I run for the bling.

Or at least, I like my running related bling.

Back in October 2012, when I crossed the finish line for my first Twin Cities Marathon, I remember receiving that first finishers medal and feeling this overpowering sense of accomplishment. They placed that beauty around my neck and I felt like I was a different person than the one that had toed the start line just a few hours earlier.

As I wandered around the finishers' area, sort of disoriented and in shock, the one thing that kept me grounded was the feel of that medal. Its weight, its slight sway and "thump" against my chest, as I moved clumsily about.

I wore it as we waited for my PIC to cross the line. I wore it as we hit the nearest fast-food joint to re-fuel.

I reluctantly removed it to get into the shower, and eyed it wistfully as we left to go and celebrate our accomplishment with some hard-earned ink.

The next day, when we left for the airport, that puppy was proudly worn around my neck. Not the most fashionable statement necklace in the world, but I just did. not. care. I wanted anyone who looked at me, shuffling slowly along, to know that I WAS A MARATHONER!

I was like Howard Wallowitz from The Big Bang Theory, after he got back from outer space...I'd find a way to work that fact into practically any conversation..."oh, you are flying home to see your parents for the first time in 3 years? Thats, great...I'm flying home to show my parents my finisher's medal."

The following day, when I went to work, I wore my medal. There were a few raised eyebrows but, in general, everyone was good natured and gave me "atta-girls"...even if it was after asking me "How far was your marathon?"

For a few weeks after that, the medal was actually stashed in my laptop bag...a constant reminder that I could do anything I set my mind to. Eventually, I made peace with the fact that I would have to hang it up instead of dragging it with me everywhere...at least I had the ink on my foot, to remind me.

In the weeks leading up to the marathon in 2014, my "virtual goody bag" arrived from Twin Cities in Motion. I scrolled through the coupons and offers, mentally discarding most of them on account of them being extremely locational. Although we would be *in* Minneapolis, I don't *live* there and so most of the "deals" were not something I could take advantage of.

Except for one...

There was an ad for a jeweler, Scott James Sports Jewelry, that caught my eye.

I clicked over to the store and I audibly gasped...they had charms that were in the shape of the logo that is inked on my foot!

They were beautifully rendered *and* they were reasonably priced.
I swooned and immediately texted my bestie to share in my excitement.

That Christmas, to my extreme delight, Mr. Man and the kidiots gifted me with 3 beautiful charms...the TCM logo, a 26.2 disk and a bar that said "Twin Cities"...one charm for each time I had run the marathon.

I had them soldered to my Tiffany & Co. Charm bracelet, that I never, ever, ever take off...and have gleefully worn them every day since.
2 of the original 3...


It's like being able to wear my medal everywhere I go.

One morning, a week or so before the 2015 marathon, I woke up and discovered that the delicate maple leaf in one of my charms had apparently snagged something and broke...I was pretty bummed, but took it as a metaphor of sorts...I might be a little beaten up and worse for wear, but that doesn't take away from my accomplishments.

The weekend of the marathon, we were in Minnesota and made our way to the expo. As we wandered around, I spotted the now familiar logo and bolted over to the Scott James booth. After fangirl-ing for a minute or two I mentioned my broken charm and asked if it was possible to fix it. Sadly it was not, however, they took the broken charm and replaced it for me, ON THE SPOT. I was utterly speechless...a condition, dear reader, I am certain you have by now ascertained is quite unfamiliar to me.

If I hadn't already been in love with their product, and their company I was now. I constantly trolled their inventory to see if any of my other favorite races had been added to their repertoire.

I may or may not have entered lotteries for races specifically because I could then get myself that charm. ::cough::

As 2016 kicked off, we signed up for the Cape Cod Ragnar, and I knew *exactly* what my next charm would be. I anxiously awaited the early May race, as much for the race as for the bragging rights that would allow me to add that charm...I'm not even sure our whole team had finished their third lap before I had that puppy ordered.

Recently, I happened upon the super exciting news that Scott James was introducing an Ambassador program. I eagerly applied and held my breath...

...and so, it is with the utmost excitement and pride that I can announce that I have officially joined the Scott James Sports Jewelry team of Ambassadors! I couldn't be more excited and am hoping that you all will give their shop a little look-see...I'm certain you won't be disappointed. And, because they are super awesome, they have armed with a sweet 15% of discount code that I can share with you!


Visit them by either clicking the badge on the side of my page or here and enter code AMB-b35st95d.

As for me, I'm eyeing up my next charms...I've got another Ragnar coming up, so I'm counting the days till that beauty makes its way to my bracelet.








No comments: